Animal Care Society (ACS) was established in 1984 by nine founding members whose passion to help animals in need was something to be admired. As membership grew and funds permitted, they built Louisville’s first No-Kill shelter on Westport Road in 1988.
Animal Care Society continues to be a leader in animal welfare in the Louisville community. ACS has placed well over 17,000 animals into loving homes. For a better part of 30+ years, ACS has been a safe haven for Louisville animals in need of a second chance. ACS is not only the place to adopt a fur-ever friend, but is also host to many community activities including Eagle Scout projects, Youth Education programs, and animal welfare education programs. We are also a premier volunteer service stop for families, students and individuals. Our compassionate staff works closely with other businesses, groups, and organizations in our community to fulfil our mission.
Our Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Animal Care Society truly believes the relationship between humans and animals has deep significance. Through our mission, we offer a better life for everyone!
Animal Care Society is a private No-Kill adoption agency whose mission is to find new, safe, and loving forever homes for adoptable dogs and cats.
Animal Care Society will always be known as the best possible place for:
- anyone whose circumstance requires them to surrender an adoptable dog or cat;
- every surrendered animal to receive humane, loving, and responsible care;
- potential adopters to find healthy and loving dogs and cats;
- dedicated and cherished volunteers to have the opportunity to use their skills and feel appreciated for all they do;
- devoted and enthusiastic employees to feel appreciated for everything they do and to effectively utilize their skills to provide the best possible care to our animals and outstanding customer service to all who visit our facility;
- members and donors to feel appreciated, be confident their donations will be used wisely, and to feel they are part of a first-class humane organization.
Animal Care Society gives back to our community and to those voiceless animals who need us the most. Our Core Values include compassion, integrity, dignity, dedication.
ACS provides every animal in our care with devoted attention and humane care in a no-kill environment.
ACS truly believes in the no-kill mission. Each animal receives optimal available medical and other care necessary for its adoption into a responsible home.
Every person and animal ACS serves receives respect and appreciation in all interactions.
ACS has been a steadfast advocate to the Louisville Community and its no-kill mission since 1984.